Best Practices for Indexes
The following best practices apply to indexes:
1) Always use all upper case characters for column names.
2) If you have a foreign key column, associate the foreign key table and the join column.
3) DAC uses this information to identify all the related tables to be loaded when a certain table needs to be loaded in the data warehouse.
4) For Teradata databases, pay attention to the Teradata Primary Index property.
■ For Teradata databases:
– Pay attention to the Teradata Primary Index property.
– Pay attention to which columns need to gather statistics. Note that column
statistics are some what equivalent to indexes.
– If you would have had indexes that span multiple columns for other
databases, consider defining multi-column statistics for Teradata.
■ Do not register any columns for source system container tables.
■ Make sure you add all the appropriate system columns. For example, all tables
should have the following:
– ROW_WID in number format.
– INTEGRATION_ID in varchar format.
– DATASOURCE_NUM_ID in number format.